“Pole fitness” video by Body & Pole

Check out this intriguing short documentary about Pole Fitness that was shot at Body & Pole studio in NYC:

While I understand their stance, I still feel just ever-so-slightly sad about how clearly the line is drawn between sensuality and fitness. But that’s just me.

Pole dancing seems so fiercely defended in the U.S as “Not stripping”, whereas it’s hardly ever an issue here since we don’t have strip clubs. We do have seedy escort/karaoke bars, but those don’t have poles.

Okay, some of the ones (esp at Orchard Towers) do have poles now, but I’ve heard the girls there don’t do much more than grind on them.

Anyway, 99% of the people who find out for the first time that I take pole classes are impressed and curious in a good way. And interestingly, the only guys who ever reacted uncomfortably when I mentioned it were American. Like, full-on sudden awkward silence and loss of eye contact!

And then I think of how my 90-yr-old granny proudly tells my aunts about how good I am at exercising upside down on my pole at home, and I’m just happy to be on this side of the pole cultural divide. 🙂

About Chwenny

Body, soul, and pole!
This entry was posted in I'm just saying.. and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to “Pole fitness” video by Body & Pole

1. Miss Folly! says:

Roz ‘The Diva’ Mays doesn’t seem to like being associated with the sensual side of pole. 😦

But I get where they’re coming from.

2. po.lita says:

bring back the sexy!

3. Black Orchid says:

I agree with you and have since I first saw this promo. What’s interesting is that at least two of their instructors are super comfortable with the sexy side of pole in their performances and teaching style. I think this is the general marketing approach the owner wants to take and I’m sure it will net them their customers. My studio is proudly markets the sensual side of pole as much as we do the workout side and I like it that way 🙂

4. It’s too bad that the States need to push the fitness side so much for acceptance. Maybe once it becomes more mainstream they can ease the sexiness back in. Personally I love feeling sexy on the pole, you can do strength moves and still look hot!

5. sheenalashay says:

At one point Steven said he sometimes forgets about the sensual side of it. I don’t know how that’s even possible Perhaps he meant to say sexual. I think people even have convoluted understanding of what ”sensuality” is. The very act of breathing is a sensual experience. Every single thing that you do from the food you eat, to walking down the street is an engagement with your external and internal senses. Some people are more in tuned to them than others but its IMPOSSIBLE to dance without being sensual. If you\’re able to do it, it means you\’re able to dance without feeling anything. It means you’re a robot. I think every time they said sensual, they probably were alluding to ”sexual.” Either way, I’m glad I’ve had a chance to take a class at their studio before seeing this. Because if I saw this first, I’d be persuaded to not go there. That video does their work an injustice even if it was an attempt at strategic marketing.

6. Fran says:

Your grandma is too cool! 🙂

7. Cathe says:

I am curious to area you live, if you do not mind my asking. I live in America and my gym definitely leans toward only the fitness aspect. I agree this video makes me a little sad with how much they push the fitness part.

8. I just stumbled upon this blog and after not watching this video for a while, I watched it again, as the comments were somewhat harsh…I felt that some people did not understand the message of this video at all. Please let me try to explain.
    Yes, the US is super conservative and as someone who was born and raised outside of the US I have found myself defending female sexuality and sensuality since I moved to the US almost 17 years ago. As a business owner of a pole dance studio, I have to defend the legitimacy of our business in the eye of the public on a regular basis. The public is indeed uneducated, close minded and extremely conservative in most cases, even in NYC, which is why we always feel the need to down play the sexual aspect of pole dancing.
    Most people here in the US, when presented with the idea of pole dancing for the first time, have a very different picture of what the reality of pole dancing really is.
    They can not comprehend, that even when done in an extremely sexual manner (which a lot of people CHOSE to do), pole dancing is still an incredible workout. But until those people walk through the doors of a pole dance studio and leave their stigmas behind, they will not experience what we are all so addicted to.
    In this video, no one at any point is talking about pole dancing as solely for fitness, everyone agrees that it is not only athletic and artistic, it is also sensual and sexual, and will always be that way. It started in strip clubs and will most likely always stay in strip clubs, at least in the US.
    What we all need to remember when watching people talk about pole dancing is, that at the end of the day, it is just an apparatus and YOU can CHOSE what you want to do with it.
    It can be sexual, sensual or purely artistic or acrobatic.
    Why is it that it must be approached in only one way or another? Why can’t people decide what THEY feel comfortable with? If they want to put on heels and shake their booty, or if they just want to be a gymnastic acrobat with zero sexuality, it is their choice and as long as they are happy an healthy, who cares?
    I find that even within our own community, there is so much judgement. Those who want to embrace the sexy aspect of pole dance, wear the heels and sexy it up, look down at those who don’t really care for it or just want to explore the artistic or acrobatic side of it and vise versa.

Ladies and gentleman, I have news for you, there is room for ANY interpretation of movement around this simple apparatus. Be sexy if you want to, don’t be sexy if you don’t want to. Let’s just all be happy and support each other, K? 🙂

This specific video was a student film, done by a Columbia University graduate student, who wanted to educate people about what we do. Body & Pole had no control over the editing of this piece. We spoke about our passion, our studio and what we love doing so much. Each of the people spoke their mind and it was all put together in what I thought was a well done educational video. This video was NOT meant for our community, those of us who already know what pole dancing is all about, who chose their path of movement that makes them feel good and happy. This video was created for those who are uneducated about our passion, who judge us solely because the words “pole dancing” are attached with strip clubs here in the US and we must ALL be strippers if we pole dance…(nothing wrong with strippers…more power to them).

I wish things were different here in the states, but until then, yes, we at Body & Pole, when asked in the media about what we do, will keep down playing sexuality in the hopes of getting more and more people to come try this out and discover the joy of being upside down on the incredible piece of metal we all love so much, the pole.

• Chwenny says:

Hi Lian, I haven’t watched that video for a long time too! I actually have a high regard for Body & Pole, and I do understand where its coming from. Thanks for taking the time to explain all that in good context though, and I hope you’re not offended!